Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Charles Hugh Smith

http://www.oftwominds.com/blog.html


I am grateful to my father for turning me on to self published essayist Charles Hugh Smith. While he is certainly a proponent of Peak Oil theory and the oncoming of what James Kunstler has dubbed The Long Emergency, Smith is by no means a doom and gloom peddler, nor is he a lone wolf survivalist paranoid, or even a....gasp..."conspiracy theorist".
And while we are on the topic, albeit briefly, let's pause a minute and reflect on the power of that term "conspiracy theorist". I feel that the more the mainstream media flogs the term, whether it may refer to the Iran Contra scandal coverup or the rapid departure of Lebron James, the more the term loses its sting of scorn. It's not that I hear the term thrown around more frequently, maybe it's just that I am taking notice of it more lately. I feel that it is becoming a semantic analog to "creative or independent thinker", and last I checked, that was something akin to a duty of American citizenship.

No comments: